Kathleen D’s Tea Sandwich Spread
- 1 12 oz bag/box of raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Miracle Whip
- Pepperidge Farm Sandwich bread
Chop entire bag of raisins. Mix with chopped pecans and enough Miracle Whip to hold the mixture together. Spread on thin bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Sandwich bread.
Summer Meeting Salad Dressing
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1 1/2 T minced onion
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
Whisk together and serve over any variety of fruits or greens.
Marie’s Maurice Salad (from Hudson’s)
- 2 t. white vinegar
- 1.5 t. lemon juice
- 1.5 t. onion juice
- 1.5 t. sugar
- 1.5 t. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t. dry mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 hard cooked egg, diced
- salt to taste
- 14 oz. ham cut into strips
- 14 oz. cooked turkey breast cut into strips
- 14 oz. Swiss cheese strips
- 1/2 c slivered, sweet gherkin pickles
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 12 – 16 pimento stuffed olives
Combine the first 6 dressing ingredients and stir to disolve sugar. Add remaining dressing ingredients and mix well. Combine the ham, turkey, cheese and pickles together in a large bowl. Toss together with dressing. Divide the lettuce among plates, top with salad and garnish each place with 2 olives. Yummmmm…….
Ethel’s Spinach Pie
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 lb feta cheese
- 6 oz cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 c bread crumbs (Italian seasoned is fine)
- 1/2 lb phillo pastry sheets (thaw in refrigerator overnight before using)
- 1/4 lb melted butter
Saute onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add spinach, from which as much water as possible has been drained. Pat with a papertowel to remove moisture. Simmer mixture over a low flame, stirring occasionally until most of moisture is evaporated.
In a separate bowl, crumble feta cheese into small pieces. Add cottage cheese and blend well. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Toss bread crumbs into spinach mixture, then combine with cheese mixture. Stir until well blended.
Place 10 layers of phyllo dough pastry sheets in a 10×13 glass pan, brushing each sheet well with melted butter. Add spinach mixture and smooth evenly over sheets. Top with remainer of phyllo sheets, buttering each layer.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 1/2 lb plain hummous
- 1/2 c sliced Kalmata olives
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 oz. jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, reserving marinade
- 1/4 c sliced green onion
Spread hummous on 10 inch serving plate. Sprinkle with olives, cheese, chopped artichoke hearts, and green onions. Drizzle with reserved artichoke marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour or up to 12 hours. Serve with pita chips or pita bread cut into wedges.
Greek Salad Dressing
- 1/4 c of either red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (or a mixture of both)
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1 large clove of garlic sliced into several slices
To the vinegar add the sliced garlic clove and let marinate for sevveral hours (the longer the better). If in a hurry, double or triple the amount of garlic and it will be ready in 30 minutes.
Add the extra virgin olive oil and oregano to the vinegar infusion, shake or whisk together. Remove garlic before dressing salad.
Greek salad consists of torn greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, sliced red onions, feta cheese, pickled beets, Kalamata olives and Greek peperoncini peppers.
Cranberry Carrot Bread
- Floured baking spray
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1t baking powder
- 1t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2T canola oil
- 1T vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3T orange juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with floured baking spray, set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine apple sauce, milk egg, egg whites, canola oil and vanilla. Add moist mixture to the dry ingredients and gently combine until just moistened, being careful not to overmix.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
To prepare the glaze, combine ingredients and stir until just smooth. Spread the glaze over the top of the bread while it is still warm. Allow the bread to cool, and serve.
Shirley’s Rhubarb Punch
- 6 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 6 cups water
- 1 can Frozen Lemonade Concentrate, 12 oz
- (can use strawberry Daiquiri mix)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 liter Lemon-Lime Carbonated Soda
In large saucepan combine rhubarb, water, lemonade concentrate and sugar.Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until rhubarb is very soft.Strain to remove pulp.Chill liquid (can be made 1-2 days in advance). Just before serving combine rhubarb mixture and Lemon-lime soda.You can pour the rhubarb mixture over an ice ring in a punch bowl and then add the chilled soda.
This recipe was a favorite of Shirley Schneider, a well-loved, hard-working member of the Rochester Branch. We miss you, Shirley!
Texas Sheet Cake
For Frosting: Combine in saucepan:
- 1/2 lb. butter or oleo, 2 sticks
- 6 T. milk
- 4 T. cocoa
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
Bring to boil and remove from heat. Add 1 box powdered sugar and 1 c. chopped nuts. Spread frosting on cake soon after taking from oven (no longer than 10 minutes).
For Cake: Combine in saucepan:
- 1/2 c. butter or oleo, 2 sticks
- 1 c. water
- 4 t. cocoa
Bring to boil and remove from heat.
Stir together: Add:
2 cups sugar 1/2 c. sour cream
2 cups flour 2 eggs
1 t. salt 1-1/2 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking soda 1-1/2 t. vanilla
Pour into large mixing bowl and mix well with warm chocolate mixture. Pour into lightly greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Spoon frosting on cake soon after taking cake from oven.
Kathleen Smith’s family recipe – Yummy!
Kathleen’s Great Baked Beans
- 1 – lb. ground beef, brown & drain well
- 1 – lb. Bacon, chopped, brown & drain well
- 1 large onion, chopped, brown
Combine & Add:
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/2 cup Barbeque Sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. molasses or 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. pepper
Add above to meat mixture.
Drain 2 (16 Oz.) cans Kidney beans
Drain 2 (16 oz.) cans Navy Beans
Do not drain but add 2 cans (16 oz.) Pork & Beans
Mix all together and bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until it’s bubbling.
Yule Love it Lavender Lemon Currant Scones
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1-1/2 cup butter, cut up
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon lavender
Combine first 6 ingredients/cut in butter with pastry blender until crumbly. Add buttermilk, currants and lavender, stir til moist
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead 5-6 times. Pat into 8″ circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place 1″ apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake at 425F for 15 min.
Chive Blossom Vinegar
- 2 cups white vinegar (champagne, white wine-not distilled white)
- 2 cups fresh packed chive blossoms
Bring vinegar just to a boil, but do not boil. Place clean chive blossoms in crock, large glass bowl or bottle. Pour vinegar over chive blossoms. Let stand covered in cool, dark place for one week. Strain vinegar, discard blossoms. Transfer to decorative bottles, add a sprig of fresh chive blossom to each bottle and seal. Store in cool, dark cabinet.
Pat’s Herb Butter
- 1 lb salted butter, softened
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
- 1-1/2 TBSN fresh minced herbs (suggested mix is tarragon, rosemary, lemon thyme, common thyme, basil and chives, using 2-3 time the amount of chives to the other herbs)
- Salt to taste if needed
Blend with a mixer. Prepare the day before use so that the flavors have an opportunity to develop.
Pat’s Hot Chicken Salad
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
Combine the first five ingredients and pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle cheese and chips on top.
Bake at 275 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit for 1/2 hour before serving. Serves 4. Can be made ahead, except for topping.
Cole Slaw Crunch Salad
Dressing: make a day ahead
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 seasoning pkgs. from Beef ramen noodle soup mix
- Whisk all until emulsified. Dressing makes enough for more than one bag of slaw.
Salad: you can prepare ahead and store in baggies
- 2 pkgs. ramen noodles, pounded small
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 lb Packaged cole slaw
Put the salad together at the last minute to keep noodles crunchy!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup nuts
Mix all ingredients and press into 9 x 13 pan. Bake 15 minutes at 370 degrees.
- 1 – 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1 cup powered sugar
Mix all ingredients and spread on first layer.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 – 3 oz pkgs vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
Mix all ingredients and spread on second layer.
- Cool whip – spread Cool Whip over all. Refrigerate overnight. Sprinkle with nutmeg and chopped nuts on the top.
Grilled Pasta Vegetable Salad
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 red/yellow peppers, sliced into 1 inch slices
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
- and/or green beans, squash, sweet onion
- 3-4 cups dried penne pasta
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced thinly
- In a bowl, mix together the oil, salt and pepper
- Add the eggplant, peppers, zucchini, carrots and other vegetables as desired to the bowl and toss until they are all covered in oil. You may need to add more oil and seasoning if you have a lot of vegetables. Remove veggies for next step, but retain the oil for step 6.
- Grill/broil the veggies one type at a time, 1-5 minutes on each side, or until they are browned but still crunchy. This may take a little practice!
- Allow to cool slightly and cut into bite size pieces.
- Cook the pasta al dente, 8-10 minutes, then drain.
- Add the vinegar, Dijon mustard, parsley and green onion to the oil in the bowl from step 1.
- Combine the pasta, veggies and oil/seasoning mixture. After tasting, you can add some lemon pepper seasoning (call Lemon Zipper from Willowbrook Farm).
- Toss and serve. Enjoy!
- Recipe says it takes roughly 30 minutes to make (which is just not true!) and serves about 6 people.